Sunday 16 January 2011

Caramel



I'm conscious that recent blogs have detracted from the travel theme that is intended to be prevalent within my 'Nomadic Behaviour' blogsite. However, I have found myself subject to an irresistible desire to share a song with you.

'Caramel' is the tenth track on John Grant's debut solo album, Queen of Denmark.

The song captured me from the moment that I first heard it and I have been playing it on repeat ever since.

'Caramel' is an impossibly stunning love song and John Grant's vocals serve to provide a heightened level of warmth to the already beautiful lyrics and music.

One cannot fail to notice that the lyrics describe John Grant's love of another man. Whilst openly homosexual, Grant achieves something that adds further depth to the song by embracing his homosexuality as opposed to fitting into the convention of heterosexual love songs. Even in the 21st century, such lyrics are still, I believe, a rareity and it's actually very beautiful to hear.

Let me know your thoughts.

I hope you enjoy the song as much as I.

Caramel*

My love is the rarest jewel and he crowns me with his love,
My love, he is rich like caramel and he moves me from above,
He sees me with Tigereye eyes and that's where I make my home,
His heart is a shield which protects me from the vilest foe,
His smile's an elixir which heals the wounds of my darkest years,
When my love is quiet, I consider him and he drives away my fears.

My love, he reveals himself with tenderness and grace,
My love has constructed, with his arms, for me the safest place,
His laughter destroys my doubts and lifts me up so high,
His voice it is soothing like a warm breeze on a summer night,
When he envelops me, I give myself to him and my soul takes flight.

RB x

* John Grant has personally e-mailed me in response to this post (I sent a link to his publicist) and corrected some mistakes in the lyrics. Thus, they've been amended accordingly and are correct as proofread by the artist himself! What an honour!

2 comments:

  1. I was just searching for the correct lyrics because, even if i'm italian, i noticed that those words (violent cold) didn't match with the sung words at that point (vilest foe).
    Thanks to you dear blogger ^_^ and to John Grant for such a great record, it's AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to be of assistance! =)

    All credit to John Grant himself for correcting the lyrics for me and creating such a beautiful record.

    ReplyDelete